Support Smoke-Free Parks in Washoe County
NTPC partners in Reno/Sparks/Washoe County have been working with community leaders to encourage passage of local ordinances for smoke-free and vape-free parks and recreation areas. We’re excited to tell you that city council and county commission members will be hearing recommendations on April 9, 10, and 11 to enact a smoke-free and vape-free ordinance in their respective municipalities. This recommendation is supported by the Parks & Recreation Commissions of each municipality as well. Your voice in this effort makes all the difference!
There are two ways to provide your support:
1) Attend any or all of the meetings to show and/or voice support. You may make a public comment at the meeting(s), or simply attend:
- City of Sparks: Monday April 9 @ 2 p.m., City of Sparks Legislative Building, Council Chambers, 745 Fourth Street, Sparks. Agenda item 9.1 under General Business, http://portal.cityofsparks.us/agendas/meeting/376
- Washoe County Commission: Tuesday April 10 @ 10 a.m., Commission Chambers, 1001 E. 9th Street, Reno, Item 12 at https://www.washoecounty.us/bcc/board_committees/2018/BCC%20Agenda%204-10-18.pdf
- City of Reno: Wednesday April 11 @ 10 a.m., City Council Chamber at City Hall, 1 East First Street, Reno, Agenda item J.4 on page 6 under Parks, Rec & Community Service, http://renocitynv.iqm2.com/Citizens/FileOpen.aspx?Type=14&ID=1726&Inline=True
2) Provide written comments in support of smoke-free and vape-free parks in Reno, Sparks, and Washoe County. Written comments can be submitted electronically and must include a meeting agenda item number. Agendas are released a few days prior to each meeting. We will share links to the agendas once they’re posted.
Kelli Goatley-Seals, health educator at Washoe County Health District, is coordinating support efforts for all three meetings. If you can support by attending a meeting or providing written comments, please let Kelli know via email at KSeals@washoecounty.us
We’re grateful for your support. Public input is crucial! Thank you!